Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Revisited

On Severe Tire Damage

In writing the previous post, I visited David Siegel's site to see what was still there. This site has been up for a decade or so. I've read the above-linked essay several times over the years.

I am now reading it again.

What I said in my previous post, is akin to what Siegel wrote in his essay. He wrote:

Netscape 1.1 is an important advance and a significant achievement. Without it, designers like me wouldn't be entering the fray and raising their voices. My site would be just another gray gas station on the side of the road if it weren't for the 1.1 enhancements. (Now it's a shiny, colorful gas station on the side of the road.)

Getting people with other talents into the programme is a major development. It only happens because those other people see an opportunity to utilise their talents in a new environment, in a new way. It also means that they see the potential to use tools in a new way. Their imaginations are forcing them to do something.

p.s. Incidentally, while few would call the SourceForge a pretty site, it is certainly much improved today over the site I first visited a few years ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home